For many of us, CrossFit is our home away from home. We are there consistently and want it to feel comfortable… and safe. Coaches and members take pride in their boxes so let’s all keep them places that we want to keep going back to. Here are a few reminders about etiquette and safety at the box.
- DO NOT be late to class. Not only is it disruptive to the class and disrespectful to the coaches, it could be detrimental to you. The classes are designed to have a dynamic warm up with stretching, which you should always do prior to jumping into the workout. If anything, come early to class to get in extra mobility work. (Everyone should be besties with the foam roller and lacrosse ball).
- If you are sick, do yourself and everyone else a big favor, stay home! Spreading germs is not the kind of love we seek at the box. Also, if you are sick, you are doing your body a disservice by working out. Let it rest so you can come back healthy and ready to kick butt and take names.
- Wipe down equipment. Along the same lines as keeping the box sanitary, be sure to wipe down whatever you touch during the workout so the next person can use clean equipment.
- Cell phones are for the other 23 hours of your day. When you are at the box, refrain from using your phone (unless you are taking pictures of your fellow athletes. We can all admit that we secretly like workout pics of ourselves). If you are on your phone, you can easily be distracted and that can lead to an unsafe environment.
- Be aware of people around you. This is especially necessary for bigger classes that have more than a handful of members working out at one time. We do not want to drop barbells on anyone or accidentally slap someone with our jump ropes. Set up so you have enough space while not cramping someone else.
- Mark your territory. Know where you are working out so that you do not get in someone’s way once the madness begins. Make sure you have a designated spot on the cage so that you do not take someone else’s spot (which causes them to rest while they wait to their turn. Ok not that we do not welcome unexpected rest, but you get the point. This can lead to someone being not so happy with you if you take their spot).
- Chalk whores, listen up! The chalk is in a bucket for a reason: to prevent it from flaking all over the floor. Please be kind and keep it in there. When you need it for your hands, just chalk up over the bucket. DO NOT take out pieces and leave it on the j-cups or by the rig. It makes a big mess. You are not going to lose time on your WOD by following chalk etiquette.
- Practice manners. Greet each other. Introduce yourselves to drop-ins and new members. Share equipment. Thank your coaches. Follow your coaches’ instructions and programming. Refrain from inappropriate sexual comments to members (some people do get offended and may just be TOO polite to say anything). Also the box is a business and a gym, not a frat or sorority house. So basically, be good CrossFit citizens.
We did establish that CrossFit can be our home away from so, which means we often get a little TOO comfortable. Let’s keep all our boxes places that everyone loves coming to. What other rules can you add to this Code of Conduct?